Thursday, February 28, 2013

First Anniversary; One year post-chemo

First Year Anniversary...one year post- Chemo
February 28, 2013

It's an anniversary, It's a CELEBRATION!!!  One year Cancer FREE!!!  God be praised!!
Tomorrow; one year ago, my last chemo treatment...

It's hard to believe that a year can go so quickly and yet SO slowly.  Last Fall, post-op from the major surgery and cancer diagnosis, days were long and filled with God's care for me from my husband, children, sisters and many dear friends.  I well remember another post-hysterectomy gal telling me it took her a year to feel back to normal.  I couldn't begin to imagine 12 WHOLE months.  But, in many ways, she was right. 

It's 12+ months now, and I certainly am feeling more normal, energy wise more than ever.  Praise the Lord, from whom ALL blessings flow.  Last year,  I was preparing for my first chemotherapy treatment, mid-November, preparing to loose my hair, praying for strength as my body healed from surgery and asking God to help me be a testimony in all of this for His glory.

The past months, post chemo have been full and delightful as I get back into the routine of daily life and God continues to heal my body.

On May 17th our oldest son & his wife had their third child.  We were called and asked to come to the hospital to meet this new one, "don't ask any more questions, mom, just come".  After assuring us that mother & baby were all doing well, we couldn't get there fast enough to meet this new one AND to find out the baby's gender.  Such excitement as my dear hubby and I headed to WBH...After going through all the security we arrived in the birthing room, I couldn't wash my hands fast enough.  Our son, handed me his newborn and said, "Mom, I want you to meet "Molly Jewel".   Named for me, this beautiful treasure was placed in my arms and my knees when weak and the tears flowed.
You see, the same week as my cancer diagnosis, they found out this little darling was "on the way".  I was greatly honored and touched.


This was the next day, when the local cousins met
"Molly Jewel"...my arms were joyously full, but not as full as my heart.  God had richly given be the blessing
of seeing my "children's children" -Psalms 128:6



One day in early spring, tears filled my eyes as I washed my face and realized that my eye lashes had grown to a length enough to apply mascara.  What joy!  It's in the little things in life that we can rejoice in God's blessings!  I called my sisters, and we had a celebration of joy; even my lashes were growing.



The beginning of June, I headed back to work after a 9 month medical leave, working 3-4 days a week.  That certainly was an adjustment, but one I continue to enjoy as I interact with customers and sell kitchen & laundry appliances at our local appliance dealership.  Little by little my energy is returning and I am feeling more like myself.  The aches are slowly leaving my body and the hair is returning...
They say that strength returns in the same measure as your hair returns and chemo is leaving your body.



The last week of June our family of 22 gathered for a week vacation on the Jersey shore!  The laughter & fun was in abundance and my heart was FULL!
The grandchildren ranged in age from 6 weeks to 15 years.  The sun and sand were delightful as were all the shared meals, time on the playground and fun in the ocean!  God blessed us in so many ways.  Safety, health and just time together.  This was something I dreamed of as I sat in my chemo chair and lazy-boy recovering.  God truely gave me the desires of my heart to enjoy our family for those days together!  Praise His name!



 This is our precious family. 
Each one such a gift from the Lord.
Who would have believed 36 years ago when we were planning our wedding;
that our union would grow to such a fun group of loved ones.  God has been good to us!


Sometimes, we are just plain crazy...but SO fun!!!



In October I had a CT Scan as well as the three month interval of blood work.  All is normal and we are thankful!  Thankful to God for good reports and good doctors.  I am certain that the Lord blessed me when my family doctor on first visit sent me on the right path to an ovarian cancer diagnosis. 
 
This fall,  I saw both my family doctor and my oncologist.  I was thankful for the opportunity to thank them both for the good medical care.  My family doctor was VERY perceptive when he listened to my symptons to send me on the right track to find the cancer early stage.  What a blessing to be in the care of both of these professionals.  God has been GOOD to me!

In January it was time for blood work and  back to the doctor; again.  This time, my gynocologic oncologist.  She, as well is an amazing care  giver; for whom I am thankful.  All the results were again clear and blood work; including my white blood count (which has struggled since I began chemo) was NORMAL for the first time.  Maybe due to a slight infection I was fighting off, but regardless, I was praising the Lord. 

Late January, my husband & I spent some time in sunny Florida for some R&R with some dear friends.  The weather was warm and delightful and the fellowship sweet.  Another gift from the Lord.



My good man of almost 36 years!


Our 8 younger grandchildren the last time we were together!  Such delight!!!

My 4 beautiful daughters; two of which married into our family!  Love them!!!



These days 1 year out of chemo, I am feeling much more like myself.  Yes, I will continue to have quarterly visits with my Oncologist for blood work and  bi-annual ct scans.  Hopefully next February, I will be able to have my medi-port removed.  (Doc says I should leave it in for 2 years; just to be sure I don't have a re-currance of cancer and need more chemo).  Not to worry; I know my God has a plan and nothing apart from His perfect will comes into my life without going thru His Hand of love.    I trust Him completely. 

I continue to reach out to others who are on a cancer journey.  Praying that I can encourage them as I have have been encouaged & blessed by many of you.  I have been encouraged as I see others learn to trust the Lord in their own journey and I trust that in some small way, I can bless their lives as they go thru treatment and the aftermath of surgery.  It can be a tough regiment and some days are very bleak, BUT God is faithful regardless..

Sometime people comment about how I am doing,....my response; "God is good", but "He would still be good even if I were laying sick in bed."   cause His character cannot change.  He is GOD REGARDLESS and He is GOOD!



I have SO much to thank my heavenly Father for. 
for the blessing of cancer and all I learned on the journey.  It has been a year & half of much dependence on God's grace, of trusting His word and enjoying the blessings of family and friends on this side of eternity.

Today, I recieved a note from a friend to celebrate one year out of chemo.  This gal has stood by me; praying, sharing verses, encouraging, calling, etc.  In fact, she took me to my last chemo treatment February 29, 2012.  That morning before she picked me up, as she was reading her Bible, she read the following verse.  One neither of us knew was in the Bible, but one that fit perfect for that day.

"This is the day we have waited for, we have lived to see it."  Lamentations 2:16b

It was indeed, the day we had waited for...my last chemo treatment.  I rejoice that the "chemo chapter is complete. 
I have learned much about how to care for others in time of need.  I am blessed beyond measure...

Thanks to each of you who prayed and journeyed with me this last year and half.  You blessed my life in more ways that you ever know.    I am a Survivor;  a result of God's mercy & faithfulness in my life..

~Jul

3 comments:

  1. This is one of the best blog posts I have ever read. The pictures and the words blessed my heart in such a special way. You have the most beautiful family! I did not know you had posted again. What a treasure your friendship is to me, and what an amazing God we serve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you had posted again either! I just checked this randomly and saw that I had missed this! What a blessing to be able to name our daughter after you! We are seeing similarities to her namesake already. :) What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Jul! I was actually reading through a few of your older posts as well and just had a quick question about your blog. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance, thanks so much!

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete