Monday, November 21, 2011

Side Effects...

They tell us chemo patients that in the 3 week cycle; you will have 7-10 rough days, then about 5 days to recuperate and then about a week of GOOD days prior to your next treatment.  And then the cycle repeats...

And true to their telling, these days have been a bit rough...
But truly I am so thankful for so many things...

Yes, I've been...
-very tired; fatiqued
-nauseated
-some vomiting
-dry mouth & skin
-headache from the anti-nausea meds
-aches like the flu for days on end
-shoots of pain in countless places
and then I contracted a good old head & chest cold to finish off the week.
My sofa & our lazy boy are my best friends....

These are just a few of the common side effects.   But, I still have my hair; and enjoy washing, drying and styling it. And my appetite is a bit better...Just some of the many things I have to be thankful for.

Psalms 106:1
Praise the LORD, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever.



hiking Skyline Trail in Nova Scotia

Gulf Coast of Florida

 Today, is Tim's birthday and today I celebrate his life and love for me.  What a gift to have such a loving and caring husband during this season of my life.  He just seems to know what to get and when for me.  He is patient, caring and kind in so many ways.  Walking thru life with me...
So, amid the side affects...

today I choose THANKS...

-for my husband to walk thru life with
-for each of our precious children, Drew, Tara, Laura & Clark & their wonderful spouses
-the 9 darling grandchildren who bring me great joy and the one we will meet in a few short weeks.
-my amazing parents & in-laws who, call, come, help, pray and love on us.
-my side-kick sisters who have to know "how the night went..." or the symptoms of the day.
-my brothers & wives who faithfully pray and check in regularily.
-my most wonderful friends who care and pray so faithfully.
-phone calls, texts, emails & cards; which are greatly treasured.

Ephesians 1:16
I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.


-the gift of an early diagnosis...
-my friend who is fighting a 11 year battle with cancer & graciously heads to chemo weekly with a smile and the grace of God in her spirit.  She has showed me how to depend on God when the "going gets rough."
-great medical care.
-anti-nausea meds...
-the nurses at chemo.
-friends who brought a smile to my chemo treatment.
-minimual side effects for the first go-round.
-the knowledge that chemo works and the improved health on the other side.
-the Word of God;which continues to encourage my heart..."He is my Strong Tower"
-a book of scripture verses from another family battling cancer.
-food on my table in abundance from those who graciously provide.
-a country where we can have freedom to worship our God.
-the sunrise and the color of the leaves.
-the changing of seasons...
-the scent of a burning candle.
-a warm house.
-the smile of baby Hudson.
-the laughter of children.

a Florida sunset...

Yes, I could go on and on with the countless things I am thankful for...
but for now, I'm off to rest my head and get well from the head cold & cough that has also taken up residence in my body.

Thanks for taking time to visit me here...








7 comments:

  1. I must admit that I ran right to my computer after getting home from a weekend away, to check to see if you posted. The absence of a post made me guess that you had a rough weekend, so I e-mailed Melissa -- who filled me in this morning. We continue to pray for you daily, dear Jul. Here is the hymn that was the wedding hymn of our precious friends Charles and Libby Neff nearly 70 years ago:


    God holds the key of all unknown,
    And I am glad;
    If other hands should hold the key,
    Or if He trusted it to me,
    I might be sad, I might be sad.

    What if tomorrow’s cares were here
    Without its rest!
    I’d rather He unlocked the day;
    And, as the hours swing open, say,
    “My will is best, My will is best.”

    The very dimness of my sight
    Makes me secure;
    For, groping in my misty way,
    I feel His hand; I hear Him say,
    “My help is sure, My help is sure.”

    I cannot read His future plans;
    But this I know;
    I have the smiling of His face,
    And all the refuge of His grace,
    While here below, while here below.

    Enough! this covers all my wants,
    And so I rest!
    For what I cannot, He can see,
    And in His care I saved shall be,
    Forever blest, forever blest.

    Much love,

    Fagel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I just remembered: it wasn't Charles and Libby's hymn, but HER parents' wedding hymn. . . probably nearly 100 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jul,
    thank you for being so transparent - it truly helps us not bug you on the phone but also lets us pray specifically! We appreciate the updates as we think of you and pray for you all day and night!
    Happy Birthday to Tim!
    Love and tons of prayers,
    Bbob and Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey "Peanut"
    This is one of your "side kick" sisters who has to know of any changes in your day :) (that made me laugh out loud) I am the one who is thankful.....
    To have the privaliage to learn from you - in so many ways - from the time that I was just a little brat - you taught me lots of stuff that I didn't realize the importance of until much later in life,
    I am thankful to hear you actually laugh today - that was a missed sound in these last couple days as I watched you not feeling well.
    I am thankful that you trust in Jesus - in ALL things - even this stinky cancer.
    I am thankful that I not only call you sister - but call you friend....
    I love you "peanut"
    I will call in the morning to check in on how you slept :)
    love - Mother Hen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praising God for your positive spirit as you trust Him through this. And so thankful for your wonderful hubby ~ happy birthday to Tim! He will be blessed for taking such great care of you. Love you - Ame

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear friend, I'm rejoicing with you in the many blessings God has sent, is sending, and will send you way. And I'm aching with you - as best I can - as you live with the yucky parts of chemo AND a cold. Know that you are thought of many, many times and prayed for often through out the day. Love you. Thanks for sharing your blessings through your blog. Now we just have to figure out how we can you to tangibly share those yummy desserts through your blog. My fork is waiting. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Jul,

    I wish all of us who love you could divide and carry your physical pain, for it hurts everyone who knows you, either little or much, that you have to walk this valley. You are, to no one's surprise, handling this with humanity in hand with Grace that is supernatural. Your spirit of gratitude is poignant, timely and simply beautiful. There is no doubt that this journey with cancer has very little to do with cancer itself, but far more about the new ways He will reveal Himself to you. He knows with delight, that you will proclaim it from your bed, rooftop or wherever else you find yourself at any particular time, the ways in which He has loved you. He wants this, not because He has an enormous ego to feed, but rather He knows there are others in the wake of your presence who need reassurance and encouragement. I am so inspired with you Jul. I just wish the old standard "drink some Ginger Ale, eat some dry toast and you'll be fine" were an adage that would equally apply to you, as it did to me during every minor illness of my life. (thanks, Judy and Marion). ;)

    ReplyDelete