Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

The blessings abound this Thanksgiving season...
God in His faithfulness has given me strength & energy to enjoy this week just 10 days after my first treatment.  Our children spent the day with the "other families" and we spent an intimate Thanksgiving day with my wonderful folks at a beautiful table set for four.  It was wonderful to laugh, eat and play a few games of  "hearts" with these two that have more energy than most late 70 year olds.  Actually they have more energy than most 50+ years olds.  The turkey & trimmings were most delicious and the followship; as always, a RICH blessing!

I spent most of this weekend (aside from a nap here and there) preparing for our children & grandchildren to come for "our" Thanksgiving on sunday night.  It was sheer delight to be able to cook for those I love so dearly for the first time in the months since my surgery.  I had the blessing of being in church and worshiping with other believers at CFC for the first time since chemo.  It brought joy to my heart to hear the music and message.  (Even though my voice is still horse; this cold lingers for TOO long).  I was thrilled to be able to attend and soak in God's richness in our local fellowship.

Sunday evening the joy and laughter arrived as our three local children and 5 local grandchildren arrived for dinner.  The table with full with 4 generations as Tim's folks joined the celebration of Thanks!  It truely was a gift from the Lord that I had energy to prepare and enjoy!  Tim & I had all day saturday to cook & nap SO Sunday was  a delight to both of us.  and yes, everybody brought something to add to the meal!

As we rounded the table with individual expressions of thanks; I was again caught in the grace the Lord has extended to us during this season of life....things often taken for granted like...
- the good care of physicians
- energy to cook a meal
- chemo that kills cancer
- healthy marriages
- support of family
- bonding family relationships
- the encouragement of God's word
- little voices thanking God for healing "grammy"
- the arrival of a new baby this year
- jobs for our good men 
- health insurance
- I could go on and on listing the countless things God has graced our lives with.  We give Him praise in all this and so much more...

As Tim read from Psalms 100 we all looked around the table to see these words printed on the tablecloth.

Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,  And into His courts with praise. 
Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.  Psalms 100:4

We have  a new tradition, this year.  This table cloth, will be used each year, wherever we gather for Thanksgiving and will be signed by each one in attendence.  I know the signatures will change as the children grow and learn to write their names.  But the challenge remains the same; we have the priviledge of entering into God's presense with thanksgiving & praise; the honor of blessing His name!  What a joy... the opportunity to enter His gates and courts with our meager thanks.

I pray your Thanksgiving was one of deep consideration for all God has showered your life with.


No comments:

Post a Comment