Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Discouragement...

Some days discouragement starts to set in. We all have it from time to time. I look in the mirror; rub my nearly shinny bald head and ask Tim if this is really happening to us.  Somedays it's a bit surreal. Somedays I find it hard to believe we are in the midst of chemotherapy & a cancer diagnosis.

Early this morning I was reading of part of Peter's journey. You'll remember it well...

Matthew 14
Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." "Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water." "Come," he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!" Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?" (Matthew 14:25-31 NIV)


I thought about Peter's faith to rise above the seeming impossible (walk on water) as long as he had his eyes on JESUS...he could do what God asked...this time walk on water.

I reflected on my own journey in the last 3 months.  I have all the strength & courage I need for each step as long as my eyes are on Jesus.  But as soon as I take my eyes, my focus, dependence off Him,  its discouragement for me. 

I desperately need Him. 
I need to be in His presence, spending time in His Word, being refreshed for the journey...why so I can face each day with the motivation He has planned for me....for His glory.

3 comments:

  1. I am praying with you, beautiful Jul. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with honesty (and somehow, without a trace of complaining). Your God, and He in you, is an amazing thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful to catch up with you today...and on this blog. You are surely an encouragement to many. His light is shining!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jul, I am Praying for you and your family during this very difficult time in your life. We can not see the big picture but God is "The God of the Big Picture"

    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete