Saturday, December 3, 2011

Effects of Chemotherapy; hair loss

I awake to "relieve myself" early this Friday morning to the reality of a cold neck & the bedtime accessory of a "night cap". Oh, I think that's a beverage...I mean a "sleep cap". a sleep cap; something I didn't know exhisted until a few weeks ago. Reality hits as crawl back into my warm bed; my hair is gone.

Tim holds me tight as the tears again begin to fall and I whisper to him that I couldn't do this without him. Another gift from the Lord is his love, care & support.

I open God's word to be refreshed once again and read

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18 NIV

This; yet another "mile-marker" in the journey....
Monday morning I realized my hair was starting to fall out; just like they said and by yesterday morning it was just coming out by the dozens.
God know the number of hairs on our head; so I will trust in Him.
As we start our day; Tim prays with me as the tears fall & encourages me that today is probably "the day" to shave.  I laugh amid my tears and tell him I'll be able to get ready to go anywhere faster with a wig!!

I call to confirm an appointment with Stephanie after double checking that my "side kick" can be there for emotional support. Tim offered to go with me but I know that would be more difficult for both of us. Side kick sister will be there & I start my day. I didn't know that shampooing, blow-drying, & styling could bring on such deep emotions. But when one knows it's the last time for 6+ months; it can bring tears.
God seemed to prompt friends to pray as I received texts & messages more than days previous...how did they know this was a difficult day!?!

My OH sister texts with confirmation of her prayers for the day. I pick up the phone to call her & words become difficult as we cry together. I keep telling myself that "I'm gonna be strong; God is giving me what it takes for each step of the way.". But this is a tough one.... So much of who we are/what we look like comes from those tiny folicles that make up a style on top our head. We spend time & money to get it just right daily.
I wonder...do I spend time & money to get my "heart" just right for God's kingdom???

I haven't seen OH "side kick" sister since July even though she has supported me in countless ways during surgery & post-op. But this day; I wish in my heart that I she would be near. I would never say it...but God knows our inner most heart!

I head out for yet another blessing from the Lord; a pre-natal doctor visit with our DIL who will bring us #11 end of May. The "thump thump" of this baby's heart beat brought great Joy to this Grammy's heart as well as the other two generations in the room! God is gracious to me!

The hour has come & I must head to Rothsville for my 4pm appt...off we go; me & the Lord.  Because of His grace & faithfulness "I go in the strength of the Lord".

In the day when I cried out, You answered me,  And  made me bold  with  strength in my soul. Psalm 138:3
I arrive to "Classic Images" the home of wigs & emotion for me.  Here is where I met Stephanie some weeks ago. She knows full well the journey of cancer when 3+ years ago: as a young mother of three she faced chemo & surgery. Today she's a survivor!!  She shared with  me of many of the things the Lord taught her thru her journey. One was opening the "wig" division of her hair salon. Here; she weekly ministers to those going thru hair loss for countless reasons. God has given her a gift to gently walk one thru the difficult steps in this part of the journey.

My new friend & fellow survivor!

From my first visit with her; I felt akin.  She is so kind, gentle & understanding to one's situation. I felt like I made a new friend.  So, this Thursday afternoon as I approach her door the tears again begin to flow as I think of her grace to include the "head shaving" in the purchase of a wig.

I walk inside to find standing my Ohio "side kick" sister; and immediately I fall into the embrace of both my sisters in a huge puddle of tears. God knew we all needed to share this & Bev drove the 6 hours that day to "share my pain". God did know my inner most heart and promoted hers as well.  She was already on the road this morning when we spoke.
Amazing support from my sisters...

Yes, any remaining hair is gone now and...
Yes, wigs; scarves & hats will adorn and accessorize the outfit for each day.  I might be blonde, short or long, I might be brunette...You might not find me looking the same. But my heart and motivation to serve & honor my Savior in this journey of cancer will remain the foremost objective.

As I told each of the local grandchildren when I individually showed them "hairless Grammy"..."it's still me! And I love you the same regardless of my head dress".  As a friend encouraged me, Its your eyes that are the window to your heart, not your hair; look inside to what God is doing in the heart of another person.

Thanks for taking the time to visit with me today...

13 comments:

  1. You are amazing dear friend! So very special to
    have the surprise of Bev! Thanks for sharing your heart, tears and the scriptures of encouragement.
    Love, prayers & tears,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look hungrily for these updates each day and devour them when they come. . . not because of some perverse desire to "rubber neck" as I "drive by" your affliction. . . but because I KNOW that I will receive the soul-strengthening, faith-building, Christ exalting testimony that your Refiner is not only sitting by the fire, as Newton said, but is WITH you in the furnace. May the Lord give you the courage not to shrink from the bitter dregs as you drink this cup, for that is where the sweet aftertaste will be found. Thank you, dear Jul. I would not have expected anything less from you, for you have been learning how to cling to your Savior your whole life. . . for such a time as this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an awesome story, and I'm sure it's been tough. SO neat that Bev surprised you!! praying often for you... love, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so Beautiful! Your beauty shines through you and does not diminish from the lack of hairs on your head. Thank you for sharing youer inner most heart with us. May our prayers shower you with peace. I love you! Love Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Jul, That's so great you were feeling well enough to be able to make all those cookies with your daughters and grandkids before dealing with this. Praising God for those great times that will help you through these difficult ones. What an awesome God we have as shown through His provision of BOTH your sisters' presence! He knows your heart and will continue to carry you through this. Praying - love you, Ame

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jul, Even in this situation your beauty and style shines through. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with such honesty. Your example of how to face difficulties of all kinds with faith and trust in the Lord has been such a blessing to me. I am praying for you. Love, Arete

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you dear one - thanks for sharing your heart - and for allowing Bev and I to be your side kicks and to cry with you and to support you when we can. You are beautiful regardless what is on your head -

    Oh and I am thinking I should go blond after the above picture :) love you much and praying always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Jul and Tim,
    I too look forward to your updates and cry puddles of tears and so appreciate your transparency in sharing the highs and lows on your journey. Woodrow Kroll was talking today about nothing happening to you that hasn't passed through the hands of God and I know you claim the verse from Isaiah that "I will uphold you with My righteous right hand" and your family and friends will uphold you love and tons of prayers....love lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just so you know, Galen and I are keeping you and Tim in our thoughts and prayers! Here is a promise today...
    Though the mountains be shaken
    and the hills be removed,
    yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken
    nor my covenant of peace be removed,”
    says the LORD, who has compassion on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is impossible for you to be anything but beautiful, from inside to out, hair or no hair.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and not being afraid to be honest, yet never complaining as you stay real.

    Love and prayers...
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just like I suspected, you look beautiful with your wig! I knew it! How could hair change one whose inward and outward beauty radiate for miles around her, wherever she may go? You would be an effective advertiser for the wig industry. Really, I think the hair style you chose is perfect for you!

    I know tears are theraputic, so I thank you for the huge dose of therapy I received this morning when I read your post. Tears of love, care, hurt, and joy for the person God has created in "YOU DEAR JUL".

    Tell your husband my prayers are with him too. He has a painful part in this scenario too and I appreciate so much his tender support and care for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Dear Jul,
    I am so thankful for you and all the ups and downs you so freely share with others. You are walking the Cancer Walk with the Lord and a Host of folks who love and pray for you daily. It's not a easy road , but with the Lord at your side you will make it. I'm so encouraged to read your blog and feel part of the journey. Thank you for being there for me and my family over the years and I will continue to pray you and Tim and the family along this leg of the Journey.

    Love and Prayers, Eileen and Frank

    PS Peonys coming :) Not forgotten!

    ReplyDelete